The Chattery
Our Cbox

Rules: 1. Keep it clean (PG-13)
2. Please do not spam the Cbox.
3. Don't advertise in the Cbox

Please be aware most of our members are in the UK/Europe and may not be around if the Cbox time shows it is very early in the morning.

Calendar
December
January

Staff
Who Runs Things

Credits
Who Made What
Header banner, forum icons and member title legends made by Sharpie

Non-standard forum and cbox smileys made by Kins

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Other Stuff
Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Add Reply
New Poll

Your favourite quotes
George Thompson
 Posted: May 13 2014, 08:45 AM

Corporal, Royal Marines
Group Icon

Group: Royal Marines
Member No.: 4

This is a thread where you can post up your favourite quotes from posts made here at StC, whether in IC posts or in the Cbox. There have been some fantastic things posted over the five years - nearly six years! - that StC has been running, and this is a place to put them. They can be from your own posts or from somebody else's. They can be from old threads or the last thing someone posted. Go post!

I'll start, with some older quotes:

"It must take a prodigious talent to burn water," Vickery said, with a smile. "I have known a kettle boil dry before, but I have never yet come across anyone who could actually burn water."

He had another mouthful of stew. "I understand that cooking is mostly timing and knowing how long the various ingredients take to cook... although I am no great hand at cooking, myself. I think I could manage to boil an egg - should anybody wish to eat one that is as hard as brass, that is."
- Vickery, in Dinner With the Rifles Officers

"I fail to see how half-drowning three captains could possibly be any improvement on half-drowning two captains," Vickery said, taking a seat and crossing one leg over the other. "In fact, my not being half-drowned has to be of some benefit as my man has not had to look out two dry sets of clothing instead of one."

He accepted the offered cup of tea and blew the steam off, though he did not taste it right away; it was likely to be hot enough to burn his mouth.

"I could say that it would have been even funnier, but I get the feeling you won't agree with me." Hunter shifted on his feet settling into a more comfortable position.

"The blame would be more easily shared," Torrington deadpanned. "And it was an accident suffered in the name of duty! We were striving to improve our fencing skills - and surely three officers doing so would be better than only two?"

"It only requires two participants to fence," Vickery replied. "Although I must say that it does seem as though a third pair of eyes may have spotted the river before you fell in. It is quite a large body of water for this part of the world, after all."
- Vickery, Torrington and Hunter, Having Dinner with the Engineer

Of the two, the one who offered his fingers was obviously the better. The dog approached him accordingly and ignored the other, and sniffed the outstretched fingers thoroughly before accepting that there was no Food to be had. At least not right then. All the same. He lapped at the fingers anyway before shifting so he could give this human a better sniffing-over.

"Sorry, boy, ain't got any food to offer you right now," Cotton said as the dog licked at his fingers before deciding to give him a more thorough sniffing over. And of course he would decide to investigate Cotton's crotch. Why did dogs find it so interesting down there, he wondered vaguely, rolling his eyes.
- Stray Dog v Rifleman Cotton

--------------------
Character played by Sharpiefan | Profile | Wiki page

user posted image
I'm a Jolly - 'Is Majesty's Jolly - Soldier and Sailor too!
PMEmail
^
Terry Button
 Posted: Jul 22 2014, 02:17 AM

Royal Navy; Boy, 3rd Class
Group Icon

Group: Royal Navy
Member No.: 6

Coincidentally, this was spoken by Thompson. The scenario is that de Guarde is trying to get out of being washed and in the process is ducking around Thompson to get away from the sailors in charge of the whole process.

"I ain't a bleedin' maypole, you. Hold still."
- from A Good Bit of Scrubbin'

--------------------
Played by Sharpie | Timeline | Profile | Wiki page

user posted image
Come cheer up my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
To add something more to this wonderful year!
~ Trad.
PM
^
John Vickery
 Posted: Oct 4 2014, 04:43 PM

Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Group Icon

Group: Riflemen
Member No.: 3

Vickery, again. This one is from an AU glimpse of what might be, after the end of the Peninsular War, in 1814:

Vickery couldn't hide a grin at Torrington's words; he had been tempted to say something of the sort himself. "You did have rather a... penchant for getting lost, on occasion," he said instead. "I had no idea that it was so easy to mislay an entire national border, however. Particularly one marked by such high mountains as the Pyrenees."
- Visiting Torrington

--------------------
Character by Sharpiefan | Timeline | Profile | Wiki page
user posted image
King George commands, and we obey
Over the hills and far away ~ Traditional

An officer must be confident in giving orders, or else the soldier will not be confident in executing them.
PM
^
Marashar
 Posted: Jan 30 2015, 04:14 PM

Give me the coffee!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

There once was an RPG board
Where we had fun with a Lord
We've never been sorry
With Freddie or Torry
So we all cry, "Welcome aboard!"

Our master jester is now welcoming new chars poetically! tongue.gif
PMEmail
^
Sharpie
 Posted: Jan 30 2015, 10:56 PM

Curator of Marines
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

*blushes* Well, it had to be done! (I prefer giving a personal welcome rather than some generic thing.)

--------------------
user posted image

Boy 3rd Class Terry Button, Royal Navy
Rifleman Gabriel Cotton, 5/60th Rifles
Private Tom Oxley, Royal Marines drummer
Able Seaman Sam Oxley, Royal Navy
Private Finch Robinson, Royal Marines
Corporal George Thompson, Royal Marines
Captain Hereward Thorburn, Royal Navy
Captain John Vickery, 5/60th Rifles
PM
^
George Thompson
 Posted: Feb 26 2015, 01:30 PM

Corporal, Royal Marines
Group Icon

Group: Royal Marines
Member No.: 4

From After the Refit

A voice hollered up from one of the barges below, and the lieutenant leaned over the side, his eyes widening in disbelief. Down below in an open transport was a smartly uniformed army officer, and a less smart-looking private who was holding the head of a very fine-looking chesnut warhorse. The horse was champing at its bit, whilst both soldiers were looking up at him expectantly.

The lieutenant's mouth dropped open.

"What in God's Name is that?"

Peter came to look over the side of the ship. "It's a horse, sir," he said helpfully. "I've seen them before, on land..." He grinned, and then started calling men forward to arrange for a canvas sling and a hoist.

"Thank you, Mister Yates," Leat said flatly. "And there I was thinking it was a duck."

--------------------
Character played by Sharpiefan | Profile | Wiki page

user posted image
I'm a Jolly - 'Is Majesty's Jolly - Soldier and Sailor too!
PMEmail
^
John Vickery
 Posted: Feb 28 2015, 01:48 PM

Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Liking Sourette's humour:

Although, he thought with a flash of gallow's humour, if worst came to worst, he could still knock Willoughby over the head just before the duel, offer apologies in his stead and retreat behind his own lines again - that way Willoughby would at least be offenended with the somebody on the publicly accepted correct side of the line.

--------------------
Character by Sharpiefan | Timeline | Profile | Wiki page
user posted image
King George commands, and we obey
Over the hills and far away ~ Traditional

An officer must be confident in giving orders, or else the soldier will not be confident in executing them.
PM
^
Antoine Sourette
 Posted: Feb 28 2015, 02:01 PM

Capitaine, 17ème Infanterie Légére
Group Icon

Group: Retired
Member No.: 55

*bows*

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Gabriel Cotton
 Posted: Sep 8 2015, 09:22 PM

5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

"'ere's 'opin' Frogs don't like new message-passin' systems." He raised his mug.

He took a swig of tea. Then he thought of another toast.

"To new boots!"
- Jem Yards in A Cavalryman's Lot

--------------------
Character by Sharpiefan | Profile | Wiki page

user posted image
And he sang as he marched through the crowded streets of Rochester,
"Who'll be a soldier for Wellington and me?" ~ The Rochester Recruit, trad.
PMWebsite
^
Sharpie
 Posted: Mar 5 2016, 12:16 AM

Curator of Marines
Group Icon

Trying to find one particular post leads to rereading numerous others. This is from The Morning After, in which Vickery, Torrington and Willoughby got drunk and ended up passed out asleep in Torrington's tent...

"Willoughby ... officer! Breakfast ... Captain ...Vickery! I schüttelt him! Willoughby!"

The report was probably rather indecipherable, even accompanied by many quick hand gestures. After a bit, he cooled down enough to add, still panicked, but at least in full sentences:

"They are in Mylord's tent! With a Kater!"

Cotton's bemused reply was pure diamond:

"Willoughby wants to have Captain Vickery for breakfast?" That was about the most sense Cotton could make from Rottlaender's words at first, and made no sense at all.

"In Captain Torrington's tent?" That bit, at least, made sense, but it was the last statement that made Cotton blink at him, thoroughly perplexed. "What on God's green earth is a carter doing in Captain Torrington's tent with them?!"

--------------------
user posted image

PM
^
Sharpie
 Posted: Mar 13 2016, 02:28 AM

Curator of Marines
Group Icon

Torrington and Vickery (I miss those two together...)

The engineer transfered his rueful expression towards Vickery.

"I won't say anything more, but ...Thank you. Had you really to learn all the drills just like a common soldier?"

Vickery nodded, with a rueful look on his face. "Oh yes. All the marching, manoeuvres, loading, firing... everything. And I got shouted at just as much as the others. Well, maybe a little less - I had the advantage of knowing left from right. And the Sergeant was considerate enough to remind me on several occasions 'that it was his duty to make a Rifle officer of me and he'd do it if it killed me... sir!'"

(Putting Holes Into Things)

--------------------
user posted image

PM
^
Marashar
 Posted: Sep 8 2016, 07:21 PM

Give me the coffee!
Group Icon

The said visitor was at present inside Vickery's shed, reclining on one of Vickery's chairs, his feet propped up on another (his coat and hat draped over Vickery's bed), reading one of Vickery's books, drinking a mug of Vickery's tea, and enjoying one of Vickery's cigars. Padstowe looked up from the page and, seeing Vickery had company, hastily sat up and dropped his feet back onto the floor.
[...]
"Make yourself at home, Jonathan," Vickery said dryly, though one corner of his mouth was twitching at the sight.

(From Hail, fellow, well met!)
PMEmail
^
Sharpie
 Posted: Sep 8 2016, 09:21 PM

Curator of Marines
Group Icon

"And here be very large bones of an unknown, long dead creature slightly resembling a cross between a whale and a tiger did not fit the space available."

Torrington, in the same thread as above, explaining the cryptic cypher on Vickery's map

--------------------
user posted image

PM
^
Marashar
 Posted: Sep 12 2016, 02:25 PM

Give me the coffee!
Group Icon

[Still same thread: Padstowe's counter move after Vickery and Torrington playfully took offence at his appropriation of Vickery's possessions and furniture.]

He stood up from the seat, stubbing the cigar out on the heel of his boot. Then, with exaggerated and dignified care, he took out his handkerchief, dusted the seat for any invisible dirt, replaced his handerkerchief then, turning to Torrington, showed a courtly leg.

"Your chair, sir," he said.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll