The Chattery
Our Cbox

Rules: 1. Keep it clean (PG-13)
2. Please do not spam the Cbox.
3. Don't advertise in the Cbox

Please be aware most of our members are in the UK/Europe and may not be around if the Cbox time shows it is very early in the morning.

Calendar
December
January

The Staff
Who makes things work

Credits
Who made what
Header banner, forum icons and member title legends made by Sharpie

Non-standard forum and cbox smileys made by Kins

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Other Stuff
Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

27th August; Bad News & A bottle of Schnapps
Karl von Clausen
 Posted: Jul 7 2015, 02:13 AM

Lieutenant; 5/60th Rifles
Group Icon

Group: Retired
Member No.: 65

It was late afternoon and so Karl von Clausen was sitting alone in the corner of a bar popular with the men in the rifles. For the past months Karl has been trying to avoid alcohol but old habits die hard. He had just received word that his father had passed away and as his father was a Baron Karl had now inherited the title. He sighed thinking that the title certainly suited his younger brother more all Karl wanted to do with his life was kill the French and, hopefully die in the line of battle. He opened a bottle of Schnapps that had been his fathers, a drink he only drunk on special occasions. He poured himself a drink it was stronger than he remembered. He sighed and picked up the letter again, the letter that informed him he was no head of his family. The letter was in English and even though he could speak English almost as well as German he keep reading it over and over again hoping it was all a dream.
PMEmail
^
Ben Blackwood
 Posted: Jul 8 2015, 07:46 PM

Captain; Brigade-Major, 1st Brigade, 2nd Division
Group Icon

Group: British Infantry
Member No.: 41

Despite being a redcoat, Blackwood had spent enough time with the Rifles while commanding his regiment's Light Company to be a familiar face to the greenjackets. The men still paid him the proper courtesies, of course, but they didn't look at him like an unwelcome stranger when he was around. It seemed that he was 'around' rather more now he was brigade-major than he had been while the Light Company's OC, funnily enough.

Having said that, the Guards officer was sensible enough to not push the boundaries. It was important to let the Rifles have their respective breathing room, so to speak. He would not ordinarily intrude on their drinking grounds except for the fact that this particular establishment served a very good wine. It was the sort of drink that went down rather nicely after a long day in the saddle, carrying dispatches and letters around the various regimental bivoaucs.

The presence of a solitary Rifles officer, sitting in the corner and hunched over a glass and what was probably a letter, was unusual enough to catch Blackwood's notice. He was not the sort to intrude on a man's privacy lightly but since he knew the fellow, felt less reluctant to ask to join him. Had the officer been a stranger, Blackwood would of course not have troubled him.

"A good afternoon to you, Mister von Clausen," Blackwood said in greeting, approaching the table but not yet sitting - that, of course, would be rude. "May I join you?"

--------------------
user posted image
Banner by Sharpie
Character by Keiju
PM
^
Karl von Clausen
 Posted: Jul 9 2015, 03:15 AM

Group Icon

"If you want...sir," James said without moving, he hadn't the strength to stand. He took a sip of his drink and then asked "What are you doing here sir?"
PMEmail
^
Ben Blackwood
 Posted: Jul 9 2015, 10:34 PM

Group Icon

Thus invited, Blackwood drew out a chair from the table for himself and sat down. "I'm here for much the same reason as anyone else here," he replied. "A good drink or two after a wearying day. What is that you're enjoying, if I may ask?"

--------------------
user posted image
Banner by Sharpie
Character by Keiju
PM
^
Karl von Clausen
 Posted: Jul 10 2015, 12:07 AM

Group Icon

"A old bottle of Schnapps. It was my fathers, he only drunk it on special occasions," Karl smiled sadly, "Was".
PMEmail
^
Ben Blackwood
 Posted: Jul 10 2015, 02:04 PM

Group Icon

Ah. He'd inadvertently intruded on the Rifleman's mourning. Feeling clumsy for that, Blackwood asked, "Was he a good man, your father?"

--------------------
user posted image
Banner by Sharpie
Character by Keiju
PM
^
Karl von Clausen
 Posted: Jul 11 2015, 08:57 AM

Group Icon

"I like to think he was," James paused "At least he was to me...I'm no so sure how he was to my brother but. Anyway since he was an officer in the Seven Year War he taught me a thing or two about the army."
PMEmail
^
Ben Blackwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2015, 12:07 PM

Group Icon

So on the whole, a gentleman of merit and standing. A soldier as well. Blackwood lifted his wine glass. "To your father, then."

--------------------
user posted image
Banner by Sharpie
Character by Keiju
PM
^
Karl von Clausen
 Posted: Jul 12 2015, 09:24 AM

Group Icon

Karl raised he glass and smiled "To my father".
PMEmail
^
Ben Blackwood
 Posted: Jul 13 2015, 10:33 PM

Group Icon

With the memory of the elder von Clausen thus toasted, Blackwood tipped his glass to his lips for a drink.

"Was it his wish that you be in the Rifles?"

--------------------
user posted image
Banner by Sharpie
Character by Keiju
PM
^
Karl von Clausen
 Posted: Jul 14 2015, 12:29 AM

Group Icon

Karl took a long sip of his drink before answering, "I think he really just wanted me to join the Prussian Army I don't think he cared what role I was. Especially since my brother joined the Royal Navy."
PMEmail
^
Ben Blackwood
 Posted: Jul 14 2015, 07:13 PM

Group Icon

The preferences of one's father were hard to ignore and the consequences of ignoring them could be severe, as Blackwood well knew.

"The Prussian Army is a very fine one," he said with a nod. "What drew you to the Rifles instead?"

--------------------
user posted image
Banner by Sharpie
Character by Keiju
PM
^
Karl von Clausen
 Posted: Jul 15 2015, 12:57 PM

Group Icon

"I started off my military carer in the 13th Prussian Jägers were I remained becoming acting captain literally in the middle of the battle of Jena," Karl sighed and took a deep breath before continuing "After the defeat at Jena I recovered mentally and physically with my Uncle in Sweden before deciding to continue fighting the french in the British Army. That is how I ended up in the rifles," Karl wondered if Blackwood knew about Karl's part in the battle, he hoped not because while everyone told Karl that he did outstandingly during the battle. Karl might have agreed had he not blamed himself for the deaths of almost all his troops. He never even wore the distinguished medals he won from Jena.
PMEmail
^
Ben Blackwood
 Posted: Jul 15 2015, 05:39 PM

Group Icon

Ah. That sounded an excellent military pedigree indeed.

"I have heard something of Jena," Blackwood said. "It was a hard fight, to all accounts. You've done well to come away from it without being a prisoner."

--------------------
user posted image
Banner by Sharpie
Character by Keiju
PM
^
Karl von Clausen
 Posted: Jul 15 2015, 11:36 PM

Group Icon

Karl took adeep breath, "I was knocked unconscious the French must hage fought I was dead," he didn't go into anymore detail, it was a sensitive topic for Karl.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll