The Chattery
Our Cbox

Rules: 1. Keep it clean (PG-13)
2. Please do not spam the Cbox.
3. Don't advertise in the Cbox

Please be aware most of our members are in the UK/Europe and may not be around if the Cbox time shows it is very early in the morning.

Calendar
December
January

The Staff
Who makes things work

Credits
Who made what
Header banner, forum icons and member title legends made by Sharpie

Non-standard forum and cbox smileys made by Kins

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Other Stuff
Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

7th October: Charming play, Open
Isabella Walham
 Posted: Jun 20 2014, 10:21 PM

Lady Isabella Walham
Group Icon

Group: Retired
Member No.: 22

[Continues from here.]

"I hope they will find the weather favourable - a week is not much time to see our country, even if they narrow there visits down to only the most prominent places", the countess remarked.

"Do you know which places they want to visit?"
PMEmail
^
Estefania Lopes de Almeida
 Posted: Jun 21 2014, 10:26 AM

Spanish Irregular
Group Icon

Member No.: 33

"I do not know." Estefania answered. "They were still deciding on the locations that they wish to see and they had been waiting to be able to inquire about any suggestions that Burlingame's might give them. I think they would be willing to remain longer in one place or even in the country if the weather does not cause them too much grief." She smiled.

"They quite possibly might want to see Bath if they are able. They have heard many good things about it." She gazed curiously at the countess.
PM
^
Isabella Walham
 Posted: Jun 21 2014, 09:16 PM

Lady Isabella Walham
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

"If they can fit it in, they should go and see the Lakes", Lady Gleve suggested. "I nearly tempted to take you there myself!"

Bella shared a grin with her brother.

"Mama just loves Windemere and all its isles. There is one where a family built a completely round house and named it after their daughter - another Isabella. So it's Bell Isle now. I wished Papa did the same, then we could go there more easily. Although ... perhaps without all the round walls. It looks very nice, but it couldn't be very practical."
PMEmail
^
 Posted: Jun 22 2014, 09:15 PM

Spanish Irregular
Group Icon

"Well it does sound as if it should be quite beautiful." Estefania answered softly, amused but curious. "I will suggest it to them as well. I think they would want to make the best of their tour of England, while they are here. It is not certain when they will have the opportunity to come again."

She contemplated. "Well, can you not ask him to do so now?" It was half jokingly. "Though you will need to pick a different name or else the people will be terribly confused!" She glanced at Isabella's brother. "Perhaps you can call it Edward's Isle. Different enough and I do not doubt that your brother would gladly invite you to come again and again, whenever you would wish it."
PM
^
Edward Torrington
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 08:43 PM

Royal Engineer Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 9

"I certainly would endeavor to do so - if it is really your wish that I should do so, Bella? But I refuse to have it called Edward's Isle - I seem to recall that it exists somewhere anyway, and with all due respect to His Royal Highness, I don't exactly wish to live in a house that seems to be named after him."

Edward replied to the women's idea with a mocking voice, but he still made a note in his notebook to inquire into the possibilities. After all, his whole family liked the Lakes, and it might make for a nice and practical base point in the North.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 08:53 PM

Spanish Irregular
Group Icon

"Is it then possible to call it Torrington's or perhaps Walham's?" Estefania inquired chuckling. He was quite correct, Edward could be mistaken for a different person entirely. "Perhaps it could also be Isla or Ilha Bella? A play at your sister's name." She inclined her head towards Isabella. "Which though also means a beautiful island."
PM
^
Edward Torrington
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 09:04 PM

Royal Engineer Captain
Group Icon

"In all fairness, we should then name it Lizabella Isle. I don't quite see why poor Eliza should not have half of the name as well", Torrington countered.

"Or Belliza? That sounds rather tropical."

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 09:21 PM

Spanish Irregular
Group Icon

"There exists a Belize river that sounds somewhat similar." Estefania countered then smiled. "In British Honduras I believe." She added lightly then contemplated the course which the name choosing was taking.

"Belledwardiza?" She shook her head. It sounded rather ridiculous. "The Isle of Bella, Liza.. and Edward...the Siblings Isle?" She arched a brow. "Bellewardel? And come some years, everybody will end up calling it Boulevard instead."
PM
^
Edward Torrington
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 10:06 PM

Royal Engineer Captain
Group Icon

"Bellwardiza, if anything. I don't want to live in something I can't properly pronounce!", Torrington protested. "Or rather Willbelwardiza - actually, I believe that would be a name I would seriously contemplate."

Bella rolled her eyes. Count on her brother to like the most whimsical name.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 11:00 PM

Spanish Irregular
Group Icon

"With that sort of name, you can be assured there shan't be a single place of a similar name, nor one of the same. It would be the most unique of the islands although whoever would need to spell it would probably hate you." Estefania kept herself well in check.

"Bellwardizwill perhaps? Sounds like a sort of noble neighbourhood." She glanced at the stage again. "What building would you build there then? If not a round one, what then? I would suppose you would allow enough space for the stables?"
PM
^
Edward Torrington
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 11:11 PM

Royal Engineer Captain
Group Icon

"It sounds Swiss!", Torrington declared roundly. "Edwillizbella? And I think stables on a small island might not be the best idea. I guess I would need some place near the shore where I could build stables."

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 11:33 PM

Spanish Irregular
Group Icon

"If the island was close enough to land and not too rugged and hilly, could you not use a raft to bring the animals across?" Estefania inquired curiously, having no idea what the distance between mainland and the islands was, nor how big they were.

"Perhaps you could name a little lagoon after Trueno. It would at least allow him never to be forgotten for the brave animal he is and was in the Peninsula!"
PM
^
Edward Torrington
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 11:38 PM

Royal Engineer Captain
Group Icon

"I would rather name a line of horses after him. It would be more in keeping with his personality as well", Torrington objected.

"I think a ferry would be much unnecessary trouble for the horses and might take away too much space from the gardens - and we would really not need them on the isle, would we?"

Somehow the idea had taken on a life of its own.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
 Posted: Jun 24 2014, 07:53 AM

Spanish Irregular
Group Icon

"But without keeping a proper eye on it, a line may die out, a place named after someone is nearly forever. Especially when it is not an architectural wonder. Those may be destroyed by time or man." Estefania answered then added. "Should I have a mare of the right quality and age, shall it be possible to take one of his lines back across the waters?" She watched curiously what went on below, and was reminded a little of how different and yet similar people here were to her homeland.

"Oh, and it does depend on the size of an Island that you would take. If it is a tiny thing, I would not suggest any horses, as then the island will be one big stable with very little land to speak of, left, but should there be a larger one, and you would wish to allow your sister or yourself or even the visitors some artistic endevours, horses offer a beautiful front to such a natural background and the different climate.. which I do not know how it is.. may be of benefit to them?" Since she had never been there she did not know whether the climate was milder or worse, whether it would have a sort of 'healing' properties on the person with the fresh salty air, or whether it was only the visual beauty of the place that would endear itself to a person.
PM
^
Edward Torrington
 Posted: Jun 26 2014, 08:59 PM

Royal Engineer Captain
Group Icon

"I'm afraid, if I manage to get my hands on any of the islands at all, it won't be too big. A small house will probably be all that fits. Bell Isle is by far the largest, and even that is only a little more than half a mile long, and very narrow."

He would have to include the other lakes into his inquiries as well, he supposed. Grasmere had an island of suitable proportions, if he recalled correctly. He shook his head in self-mockery. He was going to buy an island and build a house there, because three females he cared for had expressed a wish for it ... Pulling his thoughts back to the Estefania's conversation, he replied:

"Certainly. I think I can answer in his name that he would gladly oblige. Although I might be very tempted to keep the mare, of course."

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll