The Chattery
Our Cbox

Rules: 1. Keep it clean (PG-13)
2. Please do not spam the Cbox.
3. Don't advertise in the Cbox

Please be aware most of our members are in the UK/Europe and may not be around if the Cbox time shows it is very early in the morning.
-->

Calendar
December
January

Staff
Who Runs Things

Credits
Who Made What
Header banner, forum icons and member title legends made by Sharpie

Non-standard forum and cbox smileys made by Kins

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Other Stuff

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

06th May 1809; Meeting at Headquarters
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:16 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 39

The General raised his eyebrows.

"Did the boy confess?"
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:16 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Brandon cursed inwardly. It was so hard to read the General, even after quite some time in his service.

"Yes, he did. After the silver was found in his pack."
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:17 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Sir Arthur shook his head and went to sit behind his desk.

"Well then, there was nothing to be done. A self-confessed thief is a self-confessed thief and therefore must be dismissed. Did he mention his motive at all?"
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:17 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Brandon stood a bit awkward in front of the General's desk. He thought of the boy trying to be brave and the father trying to explain.

"No, he didn't." But he needn't to as it was always the same story. He shrugged and sighed again. "One can only guess."

He straightened and tried to make his expression a business one again.

"Was that really Lord Pumphrey with Lieutenant Sharpe in the dining room just now?" he asked, hoping the General would let the poor servant-boy's case rest as it was delt with anyway. "I didn't know he was to arrive so soon."
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:18 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

"It was," Sir Arthur said darkly. "And I didn't know he was here until just now. He was scheduled to arrive tomorrow or the day after - but it seems our man on the quayside failed to spot him."

The words held a dry sarcasm and he snorted.

"Can't think how anybody could miss the confounded peacock!"
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:18 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

"Indeed" he said at the General's last remark, sympathising with his obvious dislike of Pumphrey. He couldn't blame him for it as the Lord was quite an extravagant figure, to put it mildly.

"But what does he want from Sharpe?" he asked, not being able to imagine what the rough Lieutenant might possibly wish to discuss with Pumphrey.
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:19 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Pumphrey turned back to the table, not having seen the servant again. He shrugged.

"Ah well," He nibbled daintily at the roll. "I suppose these lovely buns will have to suffice."

He looked at Sharpe who was eating his with gusto and almost shivered, allowing his thoughts full rein for once in this public, yet strangely private setting in the dining room with a closed but unlocked door.

Sharpe was looking at him with a half curious, half embarrassed look. He grinned inwardly. It was one of his best kept secrets, he thought. His ability to keep some of the most feared military men off-balance.

"This is fortuitous Richard. Am I to surmise by our meeting that Sir Arthur has asked you to assist us again?"
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:19 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

"Lord knows," Sir Arthur grumbled, although he had a very good idea what Pumphrey wanted from Sharpe - could guess as much from some of the comments passed in Copenhagen - but he owed it to Sharpe not to say such things in public. "But Sharpe is not my main concern. The reason for Pumphrey's presence here at all is what worries me, considering neither the Foreign Office or Horse Guards has seen fit to enlighten me, which means we must wait until he see fit to tell us."

Which would mean having to meet with the man, which was not a prospect Sir Arthur looked forward to.
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:20 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Brandon knew that not knowing what was going on was a situation Sir Arthur was highly unconfortable with. And that getting enlightened depended on some one like Pumphrey made it even worse.

"So you have to receive him sooner or later." he stated. "Lets see how to prepare best for it."

He took a chair and seated himself in front of the General's desk. He didn't have a plan really or any clue where this might lead to but had to try anyway. As a meeting with Pumphrey was not avoidable he thought it would be best to go into it as well prepared as possible.

"Do we know about anything that might have brought us the honour of Lord Pumphrey's presence? Or do we know some one who might know something?"
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:20 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

"Nothing and no one," Sir Arthur said, leaning back in his chair and glancing out of the window. "You know as well as I do that the Foreign Office only answers to itself, and nor are their agents our agents."

He frowned.

"Although he may mention something to Sharpe. Depends on how friendly he is feeling at this particular time."
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:21 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Brandon sighed. Of course he knew about the ways the Foreign Office behaved towards the Army.

And Sharpe? Maybe Pumphrey would mention something to him, maybe he wouldn't. It seemed they had to wait for Pumphrey to reveal to them whatever he intended to reveal.

"You were looking for me earlier, Sir. What was it that you wanted?"
PM
^
Show the Colours

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Sharpe had a strange liking for the man, molly or not, yet he knew there was more to him than surface appearance would suggest. Which meant he could easily be out of his depth. Still waters were apt to run very deep indeed beneath those interesting waistcoats.

"I have barely seen Sir Arthur since he arrived here the other day," he answered instead, keeping to himself the note with its brief instructions to meet the General in private as soon as possible which Padstowe had handed him at dinner not so long ago.

He still had to arrange that meeting, but a lot had happened in those few days. He hoped Sir Arthur wouldn't give him a dressing-down for not meeting with him immediately, or as soon after 'immediately' as physically possible.
PM
^
Show the Colours

Archive Mod
Group Icon

"I was just wondering whether you had yet seen the reports sent in from our scouts up North," the General said, folding his hands over the desk. "The make for very interesting reading."
PM
^
Show the Colours
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:30 PM

Archive Mod
Group Icon

Pumphrey finished the roll he was eating and wiped his fingers.

"Ah. Jolly well. You can come with me to see Sir Arthur and we may ascertain that. Your services will be helpful."

He picked up the teapot and gesturing to Sharpe's empty cup asked, "Shall I play mother?"

He tittered.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 5 
Add Reply
New Poll